Monday, April 18, 2011

Non-disposable camera

I thought my lovely brown Canon Ixus - IS1100 was a goner back in December 2008.
I took it into the Canon repair centre in Calgary on a quiet Tuesday afternoon just before Christmas complaining that the lens didn't open and close like it used to, and that it didn't focus properly any more, despite the fact it was only 8 months old.
"Did you get any sand in the lens sir?"
"No, surely not, I haven't been anywhere near sand..."





On Saturday, after 3 years, and several thousand pictures and videos, amassing Airmiles, Aeroplan points, OnePass Priority points (you get the idea), it looked like the little camera had met its maker in a riverside lunch spot in Kingston Upon Thames.


This made me think about the things this camera had seen... sunrise over frozen over geysers in Bolivia.



Fearless seals on the beaches of islands on the Galapagos


The first wigglings of the feet of my son



as well as a plethora of nerdy time-lapse experiments







Quit repurposing material Lepki - get to the kicker.


I was sort of a little bit excited when I thought I lost my camera that I could justify picking up a new shinier one, that could maybe do more stuff. What stuff? I have no idea, but I never knew I needed time lapse functionality before this camera and I could never have made this (which is possibly my favourite non baby related video).






Once I reflected on the happy days and nights captured with this little dense block of engineering cleverness from Japan, I was reluctant to see it go - nostalgia, Don Draper's carousel...


The moral of the story? Well, none really. Take care with things, for no matter how replaceable everything appears to be, you can get a little bit attached to the idea that you and technology have shared a moment or two.


As it turns out, my camera is safely in an office store room, and so lives on to capture a few more portions of life, and live on good old http://www.lepki.com

No comments:

Post a Comment